Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Ripping the Carpet off Our Stairs

I HATE carpet.  I hate it!  If we could afford it, there would not be one inch of carpet in our house.  We had wood floors put in throughout our downstairs a few years back.  Next up would have been the entire upstairs, but since we haven’t won any lottos, that’s gonna have to wait.
BUT…I did do a bunch of “research” online and found a bunch of blogs of wives ripping the carpet off their stairs all on their own.  I thought, if they can do it, then surely I can too.  After about a year of my researching, getting all my ducks in a row…and easing Kirk into the idea that I could do it, I took the plunge!!
Never mind that I decided to start this project when I was 4 months pregnant…
(Before)
 
Here are my stairs at the beginning.  Nasty stains and all.
YUCK!
 
Pulling the carpet up was the easiest part of this project.  During that process, I thought this whole thing was going to be a breeze!
Until I got to the carpet padding…and all the dang glue the builders used to stick it down…

  That stuff was a nasty mess!
It got everywhere.  It felt gross.  And it was stuck big time!

 
Then there was the glue…
Those builders sure do like their glue!
Sanding didn’t get that stuff off the wood. And I couldn’t just scrape it up, because that started to gauge the wood. I didn’t want to do that since I wanted to keep the original wood. Replacing the wood was not an option for me. That would have cost a fortune! And if I was cool with spending a fortune, then I wouldn’t have been doing this myself in the first place.
So I found some “stuff” at the hardware store. It stunk. But when I rubbed a little on the spots and then scrapped it off, it came up easy-peasy…most of the time.

 
Next up where the nails and the staples.  Good God where there some staples in those stairs!!  The nails came up without a problem.  Most of those came up with the removal of the tack boards (forgot to take pictures of those).  But those staples!  Those were a different story…
Some steps had maybe ½ a dozen staples in them and they came out as easy as can be.
But other steps…  OUCH!
  The steps closer to the bottom floor had about 50 million staples in them.  And they all had to be bunched in the same area.  It was a pain in the you know what trying to get all those out.  But I had to.  I needed these steps to be as smooth as possible.  You know, cause precious little, tiny feet would be traveling 90 MPH up these steps.
 
These pictures above are all staples from one section of a step.  Not from the entire step.  Not from all 14 steps combined.  Just one tiny section.
I’m really sure that one little section needed this many staples.
If you ask me, I think the construction worker working on those steps got a little trigger happy with his staple gun.
  Now that the carpet, padding, track boards, glue, nails and staples are out it’s time for the fun part!
The hours and hours and hours of sanding and wood filling.  And then sanding again and again and again….

  I can’t tell you how many times I went over and over, on my hands and knees, each step feeling them to make sure they were as smooth as can be.
Nobody wants to get a splinter in their foot while walking up some stairs in a house.  I needed them to be perfect…well, as perfect as this pregnant momma could get them anyways.

 
Now for the “fun” part!  Time to paint!
 
This is the look I was originally going for (picture below).  Something along these lines anyways.  But I knew I was going to have to “tweak” my stairs a bit.  (See, told you I did my research!) Since I started this whole project because I was on a budget, I didn’t want to have to replace the wood/steps.  I had to work with what I had.  That being said, my stairs unfortunately didn’t meet up flush against the walls.  I had gaps.  My plan?  Cover those gaps with trim/quarter round. 
  I painted the risers white.  That was the easy part.  Probably the easiest of this entire project.  And the one step that actually went according as planned.
  Next up?  Staining every other step.  You do it this way so you can still walk up your stairs while the stain is drying.  See???  Researched!
  Only, my staining didn’t go according to plan.  I wanted to get a stain that matched my wood floors downstairs.  Something to look similar to.  It started to look pretty.  I could see my vision coming to life!  But then by the second round of stain, my vision was falling apart.  The “stainable” wood filler that I used was not staining.  It wasn’t looking good.  It was looking like a hot mess.  I was bummed. 
So I walked away from this project for a few days
weeks.  I needed a break.  All that hard work to get to this point.
  See the not-so-prettiness?

So Kirk and I decided.  Let’s go black!    Why not make the stairs black and look completely different from the floors downstairs?  So I painted over my stained steps.  I hated to do that.  It wasn’t what I really wanted, but it was going to have to do.  Not all do-it-yourself projects come out as planned, right?
  They’re not what I wanted.  There are flaws that irritate me.  But they are waaaaaaay better than that nasty old carpet, so they’ll have to do!
  (Notice the tip of a green gun in the bottom corner?  That would be Allan checking for zombies.  Don’t worry, whenever you come to our house you’ll be glad to know that you are 100% safe in a zombie-free house, thanks to Allan.)



So the downstairs are carpet free.  The stairs are carpet free.  Wonder if Kirk would like to rip some carpet up and lay some hardwood floors down upstairs….
Yeah, I’m not holding my breath.

16 comments:

  1. I found a picture of your beautiful stairs on Pinterest. Your blog post has turned into a tutorial for my stair painting project. Using quarter round to fill the gaps between the wall and stairs was genius. May I ask what kind of paint you used? Are we talking a latex wall paint?

    By the way, I feel your pain: we ripped the nasty carpet off our stairs almost 5 years ago and the task of finishing them has been so daunting that I'm just now finding my inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for checking my blog out! The quarter round turned out great, in my opinion for a project on a budget. But I only used quarter round for the sides of the steps. The back longer part of the steps (that's flesh up against riser parts) I used wood trim that I found at the hardware store. It only about an inch wide and super thin. I didn't want something too thick that stuck out too much on my stairs. It worked great!
    As far as the paint, for the white paint I used semi gloss paint that matches the rest of the trim work in my house (baseboard, door frames, etc.) The stain I originally got was for indoor wood, but it was premixed with some type of sealant to hold up. But since we didn't go with the stain I just used regular latex paint in an egg shell finish. I did like 2 or 3 coats. So far (6 months later) the paint is still holding up well. It hasn't chipped and is easy to clean up. It did take a few dYs to fully dry and not be tacky.
    Hope that helps ya! Good luck with the redo!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How long did it take you to do this? I hate the carpet on my stairs and I want to do the same thing. We have a landing so I would have to do the same on the landing also. What did you do for the trim?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The whole project probably took me about 2 months to do, working on them on and off a little each day, by myself. I used wood trim and quarter round for the spaces that were on the stairs and then caulked and painted them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you made a good decision to pull that carpet off your stairs. It's already served it's purpose. But I kind of hoped you opted to get a new one instead. While one of it's purposes it to improve your home's interior, it also absorb noise and provides padding for better footing.

    WeFixCarpets.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m glad that you ripped that carpet out of your stairs. Cleaning it can really be challenging. I think you can put a rug on the landing instead. Anyway, you did a good job!

    Tripp House

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jennifer what did you use to get the glue up I am having the same problem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used hot water and a scraper and scrubbing brush to get off my glue.

      Delete
  8. I hope you're still checking these comments! Your stairs are beautiful! I'm at the point with mine of cutting the quarter round to cover the gaps by the walls. We have some major gaps between the tread and the risers, and I noticed you had some gaps there too. How did you fill those?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's also why I'm here. As she stated in her first comment, she used trim, thin and flat. You can kind of see it.

      Delete
    2. Hi! Yes, lot of thin trim and quarter round was used. If you don't like that look, Home Depot sells (online only) these "cover" kind of kits that you cut to size and they go over. Costly, but will eliminate the extra trim.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for posting your pics. I recently took the stanky carpet off and found 1-2 inch gaps along the stairs between the wall and the stairs. So I was looking for ideas. I'd thought about quarter round but were worried about how it would look so thank you for posting. I'm going to go with a combo of quarter rounds and riser ornamentation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just the information I am finding everywhere. Thanks for your blog, I just subscribe your blog. This is a nice blog.. 非固定式斜坡板

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent post. I was always checking this blog, and I’m impressed! Extremely useful info specially the last part, I care for such information a lot. I was exploring this particular info for a long time. Thanks to this blog my exploration has ended. duct cleaners melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  12. You and I are going through the EXACT same predicament. I got to the staining and I am having issues with wood filler...glue marks that clogged pours of wood etc. How did you paint over the stain? Did you sand and prime before painting black???

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely hate the quarter round look. We had it and then had it removed. I don't like how the ends are cut. There has got to be another way. ::sigh::

    ReplyDelete